Posts by :
Slidestep is fundamentally confusing because you have to memorize what direction the different colored squares are going to move in. By changing the squares into arrows that point to the direction they are going to move in, hopefully the idea of the game is much more obvious.
This update is a complete overhaul of the main menu and level editor. The look of the main menu has been changed from having a spinning ball to a cube, since it fits the theme much more. There is also an addition to level completion. After a level ends there is a screen that shows your score and time taken to beat the level. This is meant to give better closure to beating a level.
The level editor now uses a different method for choosing level parameters. Instead of typing into a textfield, you click an arrow to add or subtract from the value.
[Finished] Stabilize was developed in 2021 and is the smallest project I’ve worked on. The idea came to one saturday when I was about to sleep. The idea was to create a kind of game that kids get hooked on for no reason, kind of like Flappy Bird. Such an easy concept, but difficult to many. I finished this project rather quickly, while still making it feel polished.
The most difficult part was coming up with textures. I needed a sprite that would communicate to the player that it is rotating. If the ball was a solid color, you wouldn’t know how fast it was rolling. That’s why the first thing I came up with was this:
As you can see the ball is only two colors and quite simple. After a while though, I didn’t really like it and changed it to a more smoother and gradient based texture:
Some of the things I added to make the game feel more worthwhile was a changing backround and a platform that keeps getting smaller.
The name “Stabilize” is pretty straightforward and pretty much requires no explanation.
This game was fun to work on and hopefully will be of entertainment to some!!
[Finished] Slidestep was developed in 2020/2021. It is a 2D-Puzzle solving game. The idea for this was to be fast. The first thing I worked on was the grid system and once I finished it, I didn’t really know where to go from there. At first the player squares were supposed to be: black, white, red, green, blue. The black one got scrapped, since it was kind of difficult to see. The objective was to combine the red, green and blue squares with either the black or white one. The black one was supposed to be stationary and not move at all during a level. The levels were also randomly generated. After playing the randomized levels for a while, It was kind of boring and repetitive. I then decided to make the levels myself. The maximum amount of steps you see in every level is based on how many steps I got after solving the level, which means that there are ways to solve it with steps to spare.
The time attack mode at first was a countdown. Meaning that you had 60 seconds to solve as many puzzles as you can. This of course could only work, if the randomized levels were interesting. The mode was then changed to just beating every level in the fastest time possible.
The music was also very difficult to match the feeling of the game. I went through a few ideas, but they just didn’t feel “puzzley”. The first version of the theme was this:
This didn’t feel like solving puzzles, it felt like I should be hyped up for something. This was then changed into the theme you hear in the game, which is supposed to capture a more mysterious feeling.
In the end, I didn’t quite have a clear image of what I wanted the game to be, but I think it still is a solid puzzle solving game. You have to keep track of your steps and make sure you avoid the “x” squares. I wonder what I will think of next!